April 29, 2006

Centralize This

I've been working for some time on a hobby project to make my own Google Map. Just for fun, I've been trying to mash together a Google Map of the world and the COC 2006 Olympic Team Handbook.

I know that the Olympic boat sailed long ago, but I'm not really a web programmer, and it took me this long to get it working the way I wanted it! I do have a real job, believe it or not. Anyway, here it is. Be patient when trying to change from birthplace to hometown to residence; it takes a few seconds to place all the markers. I haven't tested it using Firefox yet, but I will tomorrow. If there are any Safari users out there who want to provide feedback, feel free.

If you're looking for a deep point to this (beyond that most human desire, to say "Look what I have created"), I'll see if I can point out just one interesting observation. Further exploration is up to you.

Centralization of Olympic Athletes in the Canadian West

The image above shows the birthplaces (top, red), hometowns (middle, blue) and residences (bottom, green) of Canada's 2006 Olympic athletes for the western provinces. There are many fewer athletes resident in the rural west than are born there. Where are they all going? It's hard to see in the image above, but here's a hint: try using my Google Map to zoom in on Calgary.

No comments: