March 06, 2005

Olympic Programme Fact and Fiction

There's always talk about adding (golf) or subtracting (baseball) sports from the Olympic programme, and that will always be the case. I have some strong opinions on this issue, and some day I am going to write more on this subject. But for today, Around The Rings is reporting that the IOC Programme Commission has been "stripping bare" the programme at their meeting this week. I don't know exactly what this means, and I'm not an Around the Rings subscriber, but it sounds like the programme commission has some big plans. I guess we'll find out soon enough, as the commission will submit their final report in a few weeks.

On a related note, I saw a story on Yahoo! News today suggesting that the next addition to the Olympic program should be ... poker. This is what happens when you broadcast that much Texas Hold'Em on ESPN! On closer examination, the source of the story is this public relations firm — it's essentially an advertisement for an on-line poker service, dressed up to look like a news story.

No comments: